hemispheric militarization

Identifying victims of the US boat strikes

Nearly 200 people have been killed since the US started bombing boats supposedly believed to be carrying drugs in the Caribbean and Eastern Pacific last September—and the figure keeps rising. The strikes have caused an international outcry over the violation of international human rights law, but there has been little information about the victims themselves. A months-long cross-border investigation coordinated by the Latin American Center for Investigative Journalism (CLIP) has now managed to piece together the details of over 20 of the young men believed to have been killed, plus three survivors. They were overwhelmingly poor fishermen and small boat transporters without criminal records. They came from economically vulnerable coastal communities, including in Colombia, Venezuela, Saint Lucia, Trinidad & Tobago and Ecuador. The investigation identified each of the boats targeted and noted that their home governments have failed so far to investigate the attacks.

Trump admin has transferred 17,400 to 'third countries'

The Trump administration has built a network of third-country transfer agreements with more than 30 governments and used them to remove over 17,400 people, in some cases in defiance of federal court orders and after individuals had won their release through habeas corpus, according to data released May 5 by Human Rights First and Refugees International.

Peru: US arms deal behind cabinet shake-up

Peru's government made a $462 million payment to US defense contractor Lockheed Martin on April 22 for purchase of ‌12 F-16 fighter jets, the first installment in a controversial multi-billion-dollar deal that triggered the resignation of two top ministers earlier in the day. Defense Minister Carlos Díaz and Foreign Minister Hugo de Zela cited their opposition to interim President José Balcázar's attempt to delay the deal.

Milei offers Trump part of Tierra del Fuego?

In a move sparking outrage from the country's nationalist and Peronist opposition, Argentina's central government under President Javier Milei has taken control of the port of Ushuaia—the country's southernmost seaport and a key gateway to Antarctica. Milei's move places operation and administration of the port under the National Ports & Navigation Agency (ANPyN), a body of the executive branch, for one year—over the objections of the Tierra del Fuego provincial government. Milei, in turn, says corruption by the local authorities mandated the move.

Amnesty International condemns US attack on Venezuela

Amnesty International on Feb. 3 condemned both the January attack by the US military on Venezuela and the abuses long committed by the ousted Maduro government.

Trump instates 'emergency' measure on Venezuelan oil

President Trump issued an executive order Jan. 10 to block judicial processes from being instituted against Venezuelan oil funds held in the US, on the basis that it would "materially harm the national security and foreign policy of the United States."

'Donroe Doctrine' threatens hemisphere

Nicolás Maduro, the former president of Venezuela, appeared alongside his wife before a federal judge in New York on Jan. 5—with dueling demonstrations by his supporters and opponents outside the Manhattan courthouse. Separated by police lines, the rival protests nonetheless repeatedly escalated to physical confrontations. Inside, Maduro told US District Judge Alvin Hellerstein: "I'm innocent. I am not guilty. I am a decent man, the president of my country." Maduro also told the judge he was "kidnapped from" his home in Caracas. His attorneys are expected to argue he was illegally arrested and is immune from prosecution.

Trump announces plan to 'run' Venezuela

President Donald Trump announced on Jan. 3 that the US would "run" Venezuela, following a strike on the country that led to the capture and transfer to the US of President Nicolás Maduro and his wife, First Lady Cilia Flores.

Syndicate content