Palestine Theater

Gaza soil contaminated by bombings: report

Last year's Israeli bombing campaign in the Gaza Strip has left a high concentration of toxic metals in the soil, according to a study by the New Weapons Research Committee (NWRC), an Italy-based group of academics, physicians and researchers. Those metals can cause tumurs and problems with fertility, and can have serious effects on newly born babies, including deformities and genetic pathologies. The metals are in particular tungsten, mercury, molybdenum, cadmium and cobalt.

Following deadly border clash, aid convoy enters Gaza

Medical aid and 518 activists entered Gaza the night of Jan. 6 after protests against the Egyptian government refusal to allow 400 of the group to pass lead to clashes at the Rafah border crossing. An Egyptian soldier was reportedly shot dead during the clashes, and at least 12 Palestinians were injured during a a protest against Egypt's perceived compli'scity in the Israeli blockade. The protest had been called by the Hamas administration that governs the Strip, against what they called attacks on the Viva Palestina convoy.

Israeli officers abandon UK visit, fearing war crimes arrest

Israeli officials said Jan. 5 that a military delegation had canceled a trip to the UK over fears that they would be arrested on war crimes charges for their involvement in last year's Operation Cast Lead in the Gaza Strip. Israeli Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Danny Ayalon that day in Jerusalem with UK Attorney General Patricia Janet Scotland to challenge several British arrest warrants for Israeli politicians and military officials, stating that the warrants are straining Israeli-British foreign relations. The arrest warrants are the result of Palestinian plaintiffs working with British lawyers to bring charges against Israeli officials. Scotland, who also gave a speech Jan. 5 at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, told Ayalon that UK officials were working to resolve the issue and protect senior officials traveling to the UK. (Jurist, Jan. 5)

US aid for Israel tied to arms sales

Just before Christmas, President Barack Obama, signed one of the biggest US aid pledges of the year—$2.77 billion for Israel in 2010, and a total of $30 billion over the next decade. Israel is bound by the agreement to use 75% of the aid to buy military material made in the US. Israel has long been the top US aid recipient, followed by Egypt ($1.75 billion this year), which also receives most of its assistance in tied military aid. This is the first time the proviso is being applied to Israel.

Is there a West Bank "settlement freeze"?

The Israeli daily Ha'aretz reports Jan. 1 that construction in West Bank settlements is "booming" despite the freeze that was officially declared Nov. 26. "Haaretz toured the area on Wednesday and witnessed work being carried out in the Barkan and Ariel industrial zones, as well as the construction of housing at Ariel, Elkana North, Peduel and Kfar Tapuah. A sign at Kfar Tapuah announced plans for the construction of 65 new housing units. Israel patrols were evident, but not inspectors of the Civil Administration enforcing the construction ban."

Gaza solidarity activists injured in Cairo protests

Several international activists were reported injured by Egyptian riot police during demonstrations with the Gaza Freedom March in Cairo Dec. 31. "There was a Moroccan-Italian woman who was punched in the face and was taken for treatment," said Medea Benjamin, a prominent US anti-war activist who organized the Gaza initiative. She said a number of people received cuts, bruises and other injuries. "It was quite the brutal scene."

Israeli high court orders West Bank road open to Palestinians

Israel's supreme court Dec. 29 ordered the military to allow Palestinians to travel on part of a major highway that runs through the West Bank. The move, heralded by human rights activists, reopens to Palestinians a 20-kilometer section of Route 443, which links Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. "It's a huge victory," said Melanie Takefman, a spokeswoman for the Association for Civil Rights in Israel, which represented the six Palestinian villages that appealed to the court to lift the ban.

Egyptian authorities bar Gaza Freedom March

Using the pretext of escalating tensions on the Gaza-Egypt border, the Egyptian Foreign Ministry has informed organizers of the Gaza Freedom March that the Rafah border will be closed over the coming weeks, into January. "We responded that there is always tension at the border because of the siege, that we do not feel threatened, and that if there are any risks, they are risks we are willing to take," organizers replied in a statement, adding that it was too late for over 1,300 delegates coming from over 42 countries to change their plans. Organizers are calling for pressure on the Egyptian government to let the march pass into Gaza. (Gaza Freedom March, Dec. 21)

Syndicate content