Palestine Theater
Israeli forces kill three in Nablus; al-Aqsa threatens retaliation
"By this killing in Nablus and Gaza, the Israeli occupation has thrown open the doors of its own inferno," an al-Aqsa Brigades spokesman calling himself Abu Mahmoud said in a statement following Israel's overnight raid on Nablus. Israeli forces stormed the Nablus' Old City of Nablus in the early hours of Dec. 26, raiding several homes and killing three men affiliated with Fatah's military wing, the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades.
CIA collaboration with Palestinian security forces draws human rights scrutiny
Palestinian security forces that have been detaining and apparently torturing Hamas supporters on the West Bank have been working closely with the CIA, the UK Guardian reports, citing anonymous official and diplomatic sources. The two named Palestinian agencies are the Preventive Security Organisation (PSO) and General Intelligence Service (GI). One senior western official said: "The [Central Intelligence] Agency consider them as their property, those two Palestinian services." A diplomatic source added that US influence over the agencies was so great they could be considered "an advanced arm of the war on terror."
Israel reacts angrily to British arrest warrant for Tzipi Livni
Israel reacted angrily to the news that a warrant has been issued in Britain for the arrest of former foreign minister Tzipi Livni, with President Shimon Peres calling it one of the "biggest political mistakes the UK has ever made" and warning that it is "high time" the British government changed a law allowing courts to grant such warrants. British ministers said they will look "urgently" at reforming the law.
Egypt builds security barrier on Gaza border
Egypt has commenced construction of a huge metal wall along its border with the Gaza Strip that will extend 18 meters (55 feet) underground in an attempt to cut smuggling tunnels. The United States this year provided Egypt with $32 million for electronic surveillance and other security devices to prevent the movement of food, merchandise and weapons into Gaza—funds which are now likely being used in construction of the border wall. The barrier, which Egyptian officials say will be "impenetrable," is slated to be completed in 18 months. (Information Clearing House, Dec. 10; BBC News, Dec. 9)
UN "dismayed" at Israeli demolitions of Palestinian homes in East Jerusalem
UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon "has expressed his dismay at the continuation of demolitions, evictions and the installment of Israeli settlers in Palestinian neighborhoods in occupied East Jerusalem," a statement said Dec. 2. Speaking from outside the Sheikh Jarrah home of the al-Kurd family, which was occupied by Israeli settlers earlier in the day, Richard Miron, spokesperson for the UN special coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process, reiterated the concerns of the secretary general at the continued Israeli violations in Jerusalem.
2009 was bloodiest in 20 years for Palestinians
The Israeli human rights group B'Tselem says the Palestinian conflict has left almost 8,900 people dead over the last 20 years—with 2009 the bloodiest. The report says 7,398 of the victims, including 1,537 minors, were Palestinian. 1,483 were Israelis, 139 of them minors. Of these, 488 were members of the security forces and 995 were civilians.
Pro-settler IDF troops mutiny on West Bank
On Nov. 16, a group of Israeli soldiers disobeyed orders to assist in the dismantling of two wooden structures that Jewish settlers had built without Israeli government authorization near Hebron. A military official said two of the soldiers were sent to prison for 30 days and permanently dismissed from command or combat positions. Several others are still being investigated. The area was secured by soldiers from an infantry battalion, some of whom "did not follow orders given to them," the official told Reuters, declining to provide exact numbers. The YNet news service said six soldiers were relieved of duty.
Palestinians protest Jerusalem demolitions
Violent clashes erupted between Palestinian residents and Israeli troops Nov. 18 as military forces razed two houses in al-Bustan neighborhood of East Jerusalem's Silwan district. The demolitions were the second and third of the day. Seven Palestinians were injured and dozens of others assaulted as Israeli troops fired tear gas at the growing crowd that gathered to confront the continued program of home demolitions in the neighborhood. Crowds gathered as Israeli bulldozers wrecked the homes, and protests began as the equipment moved on to the second building.












Recent Updates
1 day 13 hours ago
4 days 12 hours ago
5 days 11 hours ago
5 days 17 hours ago
5 days 19 hours ago
1 week 14 hours ago
1 week 16 hours ago
1 week 1 day ago
1 week 1 day ago
1 week 1 day ago