Iraq Theater
Anti-war groups issue "Iraq Debacle Statement"
From Global Exchange, Aug. 17:
The Iraq Debacle: The Legacy of Seven Years of War
We, the undersigned organizations and individuals, mark the August 31st withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq with the following evaluation and recommendations:
Baghadad: Kurdish gas deal for Nabucco pipeline illegal
Iraq's Oil Ministry said on Aug. 29 the agreement Germany's RWE public utility signed with the Kurdistan Regional Government, which included possible future gas supply for the Nabucco pipeline project, is illegal. RWE announced two days earlier that it had signed a gas cooperation agreement with Iraq's autonomous Kurdish government.
Campaign for accused WikiLeaks whistle-blower
From the War Resisters League (WRL), Aug. 25:
Blowing the whistle on war crimes is not a crime!
Bradley Manning, a 22-year-old intelligence analyst stationed in Iraq, stands accused of disclosing a classified video, published by WikiLeaks on April 5, 2010, depicting American troops shooting civilians from an Apache helicopter in 2007.
Last US "combat brigade" leaves Iraq; private sector to pick up slack
The US Army's 4th Stryker Brigade crossed into Kuwait Aug. 19—supposedly the last "combat brigade" to leave Iraq. Their departure leaves about 56,000 US troops in the country. By the end of the month, only a "residual force" of some 50,000 US troops will remain. President Obama said that more than 90,000 US troops have left Iraq in the past 18 months. "And, consistent with our agreement with the Iraqi government, all of our troops will be out of Iraq by the end of next year," he said.
Iraq: countdown to withdrawal?
President Barack Obama said Aug. 11 that the US can complete its combat role in Iraq safely at the end of this month and meet a deadline for removing troops from the country by the end of 2011. The statement came after a cabinet meeting which was addressed via video by the US commander in Iraq, Gen. Ray Odierno. But White House spokesman Robert Gibbs, in his comments after the meeting, acknowledged that Iraq has still failed to form a new government five months after national elections.
Judge denies motion to dismiss Abu Ghraib torture case
From the Center for Constitutional Rights, July 30:
A group of 72 Iraqi citizens who allege they were tortured while imprisoned at detention facilities across Iraq can continue with their lawsuit against military contractor L-3 Services, Inc. and a former employee, a federal judge in Maryland ruled Thursday.
Iraq: police raid electricity unions
Police raided and shut down electrical workers unions across Iraq in mid-July, carrying out an order from the Ministry of Electricity that prohibits "all trade union activities at the ministry and its departments and sites" and authorizes police "to close all trade union offices and bases and to take control of unions' assets properties and documents, furniture and computers."
Iraq: new charges for Tariq Aziz
Former Iraqi foreign minister Tariq Aziz and 15 other high-ranking former officials in the government of Saddam Hussein appeared in court over the weekend and were charged with crimes committed during Hussein's regime. According to his lawyer, Aziz will now stand trial on charges of squandering public funds. Aziz's lawyer contends that he has been denied access to his client and that the current Iraqi government is attempting to find a reason to execute Aziz.












Recent Updates
1 day 8 hours ago
4 days 7 hours ago
5 days 5 hours ago
5 days 11 hours ago
5 days 14 hours ago
1 week 8 hours ago
1 week 10 hours ago
1 week 1 day ago
1 week 1 day ago
1 week 1 day ago