ISIS franchise claims attack on Nigerian military

The self-proclaimed Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) issued a statement July 9 claiming its fighters killed 40 Nigerian soldiers in an ambush along the Damboa-Maiduguri highway in northern Borno state. The statement said ISWAP fighters captured five all-terrain vehicles, weapons and ammunition, and burned an armored vehicle during the attack, at the locality of Bulabulin. The Nigerian military confirmed the attack but said only two soldiers were killed.

Boko Haram split into two factions in mid-2016. One, under longtime leader Abubakar Shekau, is notorious for suicide bombings and indiscriminate killings of civilians. Shekau pledged allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in March 2015, but ISIS only gives formal recognition to the rival faction, which calls itself ISWAP. (Sahara Reporters)

Boko Haram kill over 30 troops in new attacks

More than 30 soldiers werekilled and hundreds others injured during separate attacks by Boko Haram insurgents near Gamboru in Borno state July 10, the military confirmed. (Sahara Reporters)

Boko Haram kill at least 30 in new attack

At least 30 people, mostly security agents who were in the convoy of Borno state governor, Babagana Zulum, were killed in an ambush by Boko Haram militants Sept. 25. The attack which is the second on the governor's convoy in less than two months, happened along the Baga Highway in the northern part of the state as the party was heading to Baga town ahead of the government's planned return of internally displaced persons from Maiduguri. (Sahara Repoters)

Boko Haram kill at least 100 in new attack

At least 100 farm-workers were killed when armed men on motorcycles attacked a rice plantation in Nigeria's Borno state. Boko Haram is being blamed in the attack. (Al Jazeera, NPR, Sahara Reporters)

Mass adbuction of school kids in Nigeria

Gunmen raided a government secondary school in northern Nigeria's Katsina state, in what police are calling a mass kidnapping for ransom. Up to 600 students are believed to have been taken. (TRT World, Vanguard)

Nigerian boys seized in mass abduction are freed

More than 300 schoolboys kidnapped by gunmen from their boarding school in northwest Nigeria last week were handed over to security agencies Dec. 18. Authorities said that 344 of the boys had been turned over in the forest of neighboring Zamfara state and would be immediately driven to their home Katsina state for medical treatment. Terms of the release remain unknown, although the Nigerian government denies that it pays ransom. Boko Haram claims responsibility for the mass abduction, although they have not had a significant force in the area before. (CNN)

Boko Haram burns church in Christmas Eve attack

At least seven people were killed Dec. 24 in a Boko Haram gun attack in Nigeria's Borno state. The militants killed seven people and kidnapped another seven, including a pastor in the majority-Christian village of Pemi. The attackers also burned down a church, a dispensary and several houses. (UPI)