Chad: UN Security Council condemns rebel offensive
The UN Security Council May 8 condemned an offensive by armed groups battling Chadian government government forces in the east of the country. The statement urged the rebels to stop fighting, saying "any attempt at destabilization of Chad by force is unacceptable." Chad says nearly 250 have been killed in the last two days of fighting between its security forces and guerillas from the Union of Resistance Forces (UFR).
The Security Council also voiced "concern at the external support received by Chadian armed groups"—although it did not specifically accuse Sudan. The council also urged the warring parties to respect the Doha peace agreement signed earlier this week. (BBC News, May 8)
Chad was not so subtle in its own statement. Said Chad's government spokesman Mahamat Hissene: "While the ink on the Doha accord was not yet dry, Khartoum sent several armed columns into our country. In launching this programed aggression against Chad, the Sudanese regime has reneged on its signature in Doha." (Reuters, May 5)
See our last posts on the Chad, Sudan and the Sahel.
Please leave a tip or answer the Exit Poll.
Recent Updates
31 min 58 sec ago
51 min 4 sec ago
16 hours 44 min ago
17 hours 54 min ago
3 days 20 hours ago
3 days 23 hours ago
4 days 36 min ago
4 days 17 hours ago
4 days 19 hours ago
4 days 19 hours ago